GrandGuignol.com Forum Index

<  General  ~  "A Crime in the Madhouse" translation?

13youngblood13
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3 Location: Philadelphia, PA
I'm looking to put on a Grand Guignol night, light on camp and heavy on horror, and I was wondering if it would be possible to get a translation of A Crime in the Madhouse. This is one of the plays that I definitely want to put on, in an adapted form for local audiences, and whether or not I go through with this depends on whether or not I can get my hands on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and would definitely be worth a credit in the program!
Daniel Zilber
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 16 Sep 2003 Posts: 35 Location: Alameda, CA
There's an English translation of Crime In The Madhouse in both editions of Mel Gordon's book Grand Guignol: Theatre of Fear and Terror. It's out of print and hard to find, but you may have luck at a local library.
13youngblood13
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Is it in both? The information on this website seems to indicate that it's only in the 1997 edition. If it's in both, that would make things a lot easier, as the central branch of my local library claims to have a copy. If it's only in the revised edition, then I might go so far as to order it, even though the price is a bit steep.

Thank you for your help, though. I very much appreciate it.
Daniel Zilber
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 16 Sep 2003 Posts: 35 Location: Alameda, CA
Ahh, you're right. It's only in the 1997 revised edition. Sorry about that. I guess I should read my own website more often.
Embarassed

If it's any help, New York's Performing Arts Library has a copy of that edition in their reference books collection. Not sure how easy it is for you to get to NYC, but it might be a good excuse for a day trip.

http://www.nypl.org/books/
13youngblood13
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
Daniel Zilber wrote:
Ahh, you're right. It's only in the 1997 revised edition. Sorry about that. I guess I should read my own website more often.
Embarassed

If it's any help, New York's Performing Arts Library has a copy of that edition in their reference books collection. Not sure how easy it is for you to get to NYC, but it might be a good excuse for a day trip.

http://www.nypl.org/books/

That would be a good excuse to get up to New York. However, a friend of mine tracked down a copy that was relatively inexpensive, and I decided to order it before someone else did. Thanks for the help, though. I appreciate it.
Russell Blackwood
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 18 Sep 2003 Posts: 125
The original version of A Crime in the Madhouse was commisioned by London's Little Theatre. It was called The Old Women. It will be one of the 10 scripts from the British Grand Guignol included in Hand and Wi;lson's new book on the subject due out from Exeter Press this summer.

Russ
InsanelyBlissful
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Posts: 2 Location: Miami
I have Hand and Wilson's London's Grand Guignol and read their translation of The Old Women, however; it seems it is incomplete because from what one may gather of Mel Gordon's book (first edition) is that the play does not end at the gouging out of Louise eyes but includes a dispute amoung the lunatics.
Also, Hand and Wilson's translation is not specific about the actual gouging of the eyes, but merely writes "stabs".
Is it possible that Mel Gordon's second edition has the correct translation?
mwilson
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Forums Regular Joined: 03 Dec 2003 Posts: 12
I only just saw this post, so first of all apologies for taking over a year to respond!
The Old Women, which Richard and I included in our book on London's Grand Guignol is not our translation, but is the script that was performed in 1922 at the Little Theatre. It was, in fact, the world premiere of the play and the translation is credited to 'Christopher Holland'. There is, however, no record anywhere else of a Christopher Holland writing plays and we assume this was a pseudonym for Lewis Casson to divert the attention of the Lord Chamberlain away from a controversial text. Casson translated many plays from French for London's Grand Guignol, although there are other possible candidates for the role of btranslator, including Jose Levy. The version that appears in Mel's book is a translation of the later version that was staged in Paris, after revisionbs by de Lorde.
Hope that clarifies>

Mike
Guillo
Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 30 Dec 2010 Posts: 1
Would you know if there are any Spanish translations available? Even if they are a bit on the bad side, correcting an iffy translation wouldn't take me as long as doing one from scratch myself...
Anyways, thanks for any help you can give me ! I'll appreciate it...
Russell Blackwood
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 18 Sep 2003 Posts: 125
There's no Spanish translation that I'm familiar with.
jannypan
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 09 Mar 2011 Posts: 7
There's an English translation of Crime In The Madhouse in both editions of Mel Gordon's book Grand Guignol: Theatre of Fear and Terror. It's out of print and hard to find, but you may have luck at a local library.Cheap Maplestory Mesos
Buy RS Gold
Runescape Gold
RS Gold
jannypana
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 18 Apr 2011 Posts: 3
It's out of print and hard to find, but you may have luck at a local library.tiffany earrings heart
cheap tiffany bangles
silver tiffany bracelets
MyJuliet
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 01 Aug 2011 Posts: 3
Even if they are a bit bad side to correct a translation of an uncertain future as long as I do not take a scratch himself ... Anyway, you can give me any help thanks! I would appreciate it ...
tomofthedamned
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 24 Sep 2011 Posts: 3 Location: London
If anyone is interested, the (English) translation I did for Theatre of the Damned's productions last year in London is available to download from http://www.theatreofthedamned.com/grand-guignol/resources/scripts/.

It relocates the action to Cornwall (transposing references to Paris to London etc.), anglicising the names and setting the inmates' dialogue in West Country dialect. It doesn't include the (extremely rough-and-ready) Cornish-language translation of the witches' chant from Macbeth which we used for Hablin (La Borgnesse)'s semi-audible muttering, but anyone who would like that too can email me about it.

I'd be delighted if anyone would like to use it in performance, but we do have a few stipulations in terms of acknowledgment/plugging us in your programme, and depending on the scale of your production we may ask for a small percentage of your returns, negotiable on a case-by-case basis, so please do contact us to get permission first.
shenglu
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Although most Cree LED Flashlights are designed for user replacement of the batteries and the bulb as needed, fully sealed disposable flashlights, such as inexpensive keyring lights, are made. When the batteries are depleted or the bulb fails, the entire product usually is thrown away or recycled and a new one purchased to replace it.