GrandGuignol.com Forum Index

<  General  ~  Maurice Level

John Robert Colombo
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 09 Apr 2007 Posts: 1
I'm a Toronto-based author and anthologist with a special interest in fantastic literature. I'm also a new member.

I've compiled a collection of English translations of Maurice Level's horror/terror fiction. It's in page proofs and will appear this fall. It currently includes the texts of thirty or so stories plus one novel, as well as new critical and biographical information on the author including information about his contributions to the Theatre of the Grand Guignol.

I'm obviously interested in hearing from anyone, right away, who has information about Level I might have overlooked!

Check my website.

John Robert Colombo, jrc@ca.inter.net
Daniel Zilber
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 16 Sep 2003 Posts: 35 Location: Alameda, CA
Hello John - Please make sure to keep us posted on the publication of your book. We look forward to reading it.
armagecko
Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 15 Nov 2004 Posts: 9
Hi John--
I too am excited to hear about your new book! Until the H. B. Irving book came out in March, Level's Tales of Mystery & Horror was a rare (meaning: expensive) collectible. I can only hope that the success of these new translations spawns a wave that soon includes other French masters of horror drama. Andre-Paul Antoine, Jean Aragny, Henri Bauchet, Claude Orval, and of course, Andre de Lorde, all had dramatic output equal to Level and most of their works are also currently unavailable or difficult to obtain in English. I am equally happy to hear of Mssrs Hand & Wilson's new translations which are soon to be published. I look forward to reading them all.
kuranes
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 09 Oct 2008 Posts: 1 Location: Itasca, IL
John Robert Colombo wrote:
I'm a Toronto-based author and anthologist with a special interest in fantastic literature. I'm also a new member.

I've compiled a collection of English translations of Maurice Level's horror/terror fiction.

I didn't see a website url listed, even though you noted "check my website". Perhaps I'll copy this message and also send it to your email.

I'm a Level enthusiast, who owns a rare novel by him, in addition to the usual two books. There was a publisher out in the Seattle area that was thinking of doing a Level book, too, but he wanted to bring in some new material via someone in France that was supposed to be at work translating "new old" material. But each year when i ask him about it , it always seems that he has put it on the back burner in favor of something else.

It looks like a lot of it is public domain now, and therefore i would think we'd have to do something special if we wanted to make it more than just a "labor of love", and make some money on it when all is said and done. I know an inexpensive illustrator who has done a lot of horror and Lovecraft etc. too.

Clive Barker will be in town on Halloween, but i don't know if I'm going. However it would be tempting to see if he would help some on the project, as level was among the first writers of modern-style "horror" or "conte cruel/twist" versus ghost stories and sci/fantasy etc.

I'm new to the forum, by the way.

See yaz