GrandGuignol.com Forum Index

<  General  ~  A New Student GG Production

maniactwiling
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 2 Location: Beirut
Hello everyone,

This is Ahmet Mahfouz, a Communication Arts student at the Lebanese Amercian University of Beirut. Part of my grade in Play Production I course is to stage a performance. The moment I was introduced to Gran Guignol theater I was captured by it. For me theater has several purposes other than making the audience laugh (not to mention Drama). A Grand Guignol play would offer something new to the theater in my university and at the same time it would be a challenge for me as a director to stage such a kind of plays.

Anyway, I would like to ask everyone who is involved in theater what are the guidelines that I can follow to put me on the right track for such a kind of performance and if there are any reliable sources regrading every aspect of staging (special effects, light, props, costumes . . . etc.)

and the MAIN problem is that I cant find the texts in English, anywhere specific I need to look in?
Russell Blackwood
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 18 Sep 2003 Posts: 125
Both of Richard Hand and Mike Wilson's GG books are in print and each has 10 GG plays in English.

Check 'em out!
http://thrillpeddlers.com/books-etc/

Cheers!
Russ
maniactwiling
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 2 Location: Beirut
Thank you so much and I have ordered Frederick Witney's book from Amazon but didnt have the chance to get to know its contents, do you think they are the same plays or different ones?

Tchau
Russell Blackwood
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 18 Sep 2003 Posts: 125
Whitney's plays are from the 40s. Thrillpeddlers produced THE CELEBATE. Some good stuff there. Hand and Wilson's books have entirely different plays in them. 20 scripts between the two books.

Russ
armagecko
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 15 Nov 2004 Posts: 9
There is a 1924 book titled, Five Grand Guignol Plays, that contains (what else?) five Grand Guignol plays written by Eliot Crawshay-Williams and published by Samuel French. The book contains the following plays: E. & O. E., Amends, Rounding the Triangle, The Nutcracker Suite, and Cupboard Love. These plays were produced at London's Little Theatre in the early 1920's. The original casts of these plays included Russell & Sybil Thorndike, Lewis Casson & Ian Fleming. Good copies of this title may be difficult to find, but they do turn up from time to time.