GrandGuignol.com Forum Index

<  Special Effects  ~  Books

Richard Lane
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:30 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 12 Nov 2003 Posts: 1 Location: San Francisco
I would be interested in developing a list of the best books for Staqe Effects.

Combat Mime by J.D. Martinez has some broken bones and blood effects
Fight Directing for the Theatre by J. Allen Suddeth also has good blood recipes.

Awaiting more...
Daniel Zilber
Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 16 Sep 2003 Posts: 35 Location: Alameda, CA
Hi Richard,

We hope to add a stage effects section to the website in the near future. Unfortunately, we haven't come across too many good resources on the subject. Much of what we've developed over the years for Thrillpeddlers has been through good old trial-and-error (lots of error).

A list of books would be great. Specifically geared towards stage work would be best.

Anyone?

FYI - I just stumbled upon a very good special effects discussion board called The Monster Laboratory. You may be able to dig up a few resources there.
Russell Blackwood
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 18 Sep 2003 Posts: 125
Here are three books that I think are worthwhile references when creating special effects for theatre. They are all "how to" books that lay out step-by-step directions for building specific props or effects and so may not have the exact ?recipe? you need, but they do provide some great case histories that deal with problem solving, materials, craft techniques and execution.

The Theatre Props Handbook by Thurston James, Betterway Publications, Inc.
Includes: Making a Heart, A Blood Knife, Blazing Fire Flames, Smoke Effects, Stage Fire Arms and Rain Effects

Grande Illusions and Grande Illusions Book II by Tom Savini, Imagine, Inc.
Though the make-up, props and special effects featured in these books are all from Savini?s film work (like Dawn of the Dead, Creepshow, Friday the 13th, etc.), he?s worked for years in live theatre (and films that had theatre-sized budgets). Lots of these effects would work great on-stage including: a razor blade w/concealed blood pump, a brain surgery prosthesis, fangs and teeth, artificial limbs and living severed heads.
armagecko
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 15 Nov 2004 Posts: 9
I know this is an old thread, so I'm just trying to add some new blood. Laughing A book that I've run across recently is called Create Your Own Stage Effects by Gill Davies. I picked it up as an overstock at a used bookstore for $6. It has all kinds of practical advice (some elementary) about theatre effects including weapons and wounds, blood, hanging, human bodies, lighting, makeup, magic, pyrotechnics and more. It even includes addresses for manufacturers in the US & UK. There's a ton of good books out there, many of which are in my library, but this is definitely a great place to start your research.
Russell Blackwood
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip!
garagehero
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 20 Oct 2007 Posts: 1 Location: South Pasadena
Does anyone know or have plans on how to build a Gwar-type of blood pump....you know, something that will squirt the blood out instead of it just oozing or ebbing out? Just want to have something different for Halloween this year. Thanks.
Russell Blackwood
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
Sorry to be late on the uptake with this one.

A Hudson sprayer, used for painting and gardening, is great for squirtting blood.
jerry0503222
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
The Theatre Props Handbook by Thurston James, Betterway Publications, Inc.
Includes: Making a Heart, A Blood Knife, Blazing Fire Flames, Smoke Effects, Stage Fire Arms and Rain Effects

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 12 Jun 2012 Posts: 3 Location: florida
I am totally agree with what you said,but my English is poor, sometiomes I don't know how to express my feeling,I just want to make some friends who can help me in my English and share the happiness with each other.
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 20 Dec 2012 Posts: 5 Location: rs2cheap
Does anyone know or have plans on how to build a Gwar-type of blood pump.... And if you want to buy runescape gold,you can come to gold4fun.com .Here,gold4fun offeres you the best runescape gold Quality and the best cheap runescape gold items.gold4fun is the best place to buy cheapest runescape gold.The website is gold4fun.com.
rirbe
Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Forums Regular Joined: 15 Sep 2017 Posts: 17
Hmm i do not know what to say about that ;d

I recommend