GrandGuignol.com Forum Index

<  Special Effects  ~  "How Did They Do That?" - Hangings with a harness

Russell Blackwood
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 18 Sep 2003 Posts: 125
I'm passing on a link to an article I wrote about theatrical hangings for my "How Did They Do That?" column in the March '07 issue of Theatre Bay Area magazine. Richard Lane, a member of the GG discussion group, was the fight director for both of the productions mentioned in the article.

Bay Area audiences have seen actor Rod Gnapp fry in an electric chair, drink himself to death, slash his wrists, have his neck broken in a wrestling match, be dispatched by an assassin's dagger and be bludgeoned to death with a broadsword. Only recently were we able to see Gnapp hanged, thanks to Marin Theatre Company's production of Bryony Lavery's Frozen (which closed February 11) and a savvy team of conspirators.

Gnapp's character, a convicted child molester and serial killer confined to a British prison, offs himself not with a noose, but with a gym towel tied around a chin-up bar. "My first thought," says Gnapp, "was, How will we do that?"
Read more...
http://www.theatrebayarea.org/mag/article.jsp?thispage=archives.jsp&id=331&hi=1&css=0
Jakot63
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Forums Regular Joined: 20 Oct 2017 Posts: 14
Very nice post. Interesting news.
Read full report